The National Writers Association began its journey in 1929 as The Writers Colony in the Rocky Mountains by our founder, David Raffelock. In 1937 it grew into the National Writers Club. In 1951 David Raffelock incorporated the National Writers Club in Colorado. In 1994, the name was changed to the National Writers Association to include the National Writers School, and The National Writers Press until it became a separate entity in 2007.
The National Writers Association held annual summer conferences in the 1970's at the Brown Palace, a model that was prototyped until 2005.
Our association has offered thousands of members, both beginning and professional personal consultation on writing problems, marketing assistance, in-depth reports on the facets of writing, a quarterly online magazine, and monthly newsletters. In doing so, it has been more than just a professional organization. It’s been a writer’s family -- a network of aspiring and professional writers, publishers, and editors who understand each other’s challenges and needs -- an organization whose motto is simple but significant: ‘You Are Not Alone.”